Friday, March 31, 2006

A friend, A conversation and An extra note

I made a new friend the other night. Her name is Janet and this is the story. It was 11:30 at night, I had just got back from jogging (yes jogging) with Ben and remembered that one of my kids from work needed the money that I promised them for some kind of sponsorship or other. Anyways, I decided that I needed to go to the Elephant to get the money. This includes walking through the underground subways to cross the road. There is always someone sitting there, always asking for some change, always with a nice "God bless you" when you politely say no. But this time it was different. In stead of the usual, "spare some change", I heard a slightly tipsy "spare any change, it's my birthday today". I said my usual "sorry love" and I got my usual "God bless" in return. It wouldn't let me go though. I had to walk past her again on the way home, and stopped to apologise for not being able to get her anything, as the shops were closed. She looked genuinely surprised. We began talking, I heard more about her, I talked to her about my life and ended up spending half an hour in the subway, making a new friend. Sometime this week I will walk off to try and find her again as promised.
On another note, spring is nice, my flat is clean and I have a real big headache.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home