Thursday, March 23, 2006

An Archbishop, A trip and A blessing

A good way to start a blog, I think, is putting it into context; so here is my context right now. I'm at home, in bed (I love wireless internet) and it is 23:48. I have just gotten home from work, I am feeling a bit ill and I am listening to Topol tell me about the little town of Anatevka and their traditions (that's not why I am feeling a little ill though).
So, I think that I may have mentioned that I was going to meet the Archbishop of Cantebury (if I didn't, I went last week Tuesday). I think that there were about 75 people there, all over at his for a service and finger food afterwords. The fact that there was only finger food was quite a shock as we went thinking that there would be more food and I hadn't eaten all day. I was also quite surprised that it was a full blown service complete with the sitting down and the standing up and the saying of things after certain things. It would have been pretty confusing but it was all written out on the order of service so we all of us knew what was happening. I was, (should this have been as surprising as it was) quite inspired by what he had to say about love. With his voice as deep and rich as Christopher Lee and a practiced, beautiful style, he talked about the calling of the church to love and our attitudes towards each other. He spoke of the "terrifying, white hot presence" of God's love that can "frighten us with its intensity and integrity". Hm. Honestly, how often do I feel that about God's love? I'm seeking it now. I want to see it like that. Not only like that, but I want to see that side of it. He challenged us to look at each other (ie other churches) not looking for failings but for reflections of God. I thought to myself "how would that change my life if I did that everyone?" I should be but I rarely do. I am now striving to do that too. I think that I am finally begining to realise that I can love people and see people as God does. We'll see how this goes.
On other notes, I am going "home" tomorrow night until Sunday night. I'm hoping to have a great time there. I am currently struggling with a lack of sence of belonging and home. I don't know where my roots are, where my home is and I think that moving here to London has been a bit more of a culture shock than I have wanted to admit. We'll see how this goes as well.
This post certainly is long enough and as I am currently listening to the wonderful Fiddler of the Roof, I will leave you with a blessing from it
"Heaven bless you ... , to your health and may we live together in peace! May you ... be favored with the future of your choice [or happiness in what God chose for you], May you live to see a thousand reasons to rejoice!

1 Comments:

Blogger The Devil Uno said...

You really got to get a solid background for this blog. Patterns are never good and it hurt my eyes too much to care if you write better than you design.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home