Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A Walk, a Concert and a Tree

I live in London. It is the third capital city that I have lived in so far and hopefully not the last. Funny how each one feels different. I was walking to Oxford Street yesterday to meet a friend to go shopping. The heat was almost too much to bear (I'm one of those people who complain when it is too cold and then when it gets hot, I complain it's too hot. Not good) but it was a great walk anyways. It took me past hordes of tourists, all taking pictures of Big Ben, or the Millenium Wheel or Westminster... and then I came to pass Downing Street. There were all these police men standing around and all these tourists peering through the gate, and a car full of people who looked like they were in the CIA (they all had things stuck in their ears that were black, just like in the movies). How crazy was that? I chuckled to myself and then it really hit me. All these thousands of people spend absurd amounts of money to come here and see that, and I get to see it on a normal walk to go shopping, 15 minutes from my house. It rocks.
Other than that, things have begun to change here. My flat mates have moved out so I have the rest of the month of June to myself. For some reason I always feel more productive when I'm by myself. However, I have made a mental list for the people who are moving in in July on what to and what not to do. I have realised im a bit of a control freak.
I went to a concert last night. Angels and Airwaves... free. There were hundreds of emo 13 year olds and then my friends, who are still a bit younger than me, and then me. I felt really, really old. I felt even older still when, when the music started, the crowed surged forward, squishing me between some little boy in the front, and some little boy from behind. I could feel my ribs begin to crack by the second song so I decided to move to the back, frustrated by the sweat pouring from my face and obscuring my vision and stinging. It was better in the back to my suprise, there were entertaining boys who kept dancing and then kissing each other, and I could breathe and see the lovely band. It was a good night and a lovely surprise.
They have fixed the trees outside, the gates had come off and one kept getting hit by cars. That makes me happy. That's all for now, I'm going to sit and try not to move in this ridiculous heat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home