Monday, May 08, 2006

A mobile phone, a conversation and an old woman

Is it just me or does it seem like world of technology is just getting more and more annoying. Everything seems to be made to be loud and intrusive and inescapable.
Take the bus for example. Not the bus as a modern bit of technology, but riding on the bus. You are sitting there with your book (or not), just enjoying the 5 minutes of relative peace that you can generally find on a bus and then some person gets on. They take out their mobile (cell or handy depending on where you are from), take a look around at the people as if to say "enjoy these last few seconds of peace, they are about to disappear" and then they somehow manage to get the mobile to play the loudest, most annoying, most obnoxious music ever. Usually 50 cent. It annoys everybody, but nobody says a thing cause it is a young person who could (but probably wouldn't) knife them. Does the kid not know though, that nobody on the bus wants to listen to his music? Does he not realise that not everybody on the bus had been longing, just in that moment to hear music either about (and it inevitably is about) sex or violence? He isn't fulfilling the hankering of passengers, he is just making everyone entertain violent thoughts about him. Maybe, for his own safety in the future he should play songs more like Norah Jones and not about have a cap busted you-know-where.
Now, my other little rant on technology is msn. I used to be the biggest msn'er around. I loved spending hours on it talking to friends instead of getting homework done or going to bed. Now, I love using it to chat to my young people, that is, of course, when I can understand what they are typing. Recently, little animations have begun to pop up instead of words when I am chatting to them. Now, it is hard enough to understand them because a. they don't type words out properly but type them phoenetically and b. they also type ghetto most of them. So now, just throw in those really really annoying little pictures and what would have been a 10 minute conversation turns into a 20 minute mission to decipher what is trying to be said. Now, to add anger to frustration, I have just seen an advert which sparked this whole thing off. Smileys that talk. It just seems to me as if the world is becoming increasingly afraid of quiet. Generally I'm chatting to someone cause I'm sitting at home enjoying quiet, and now that isn't even going to be possible.
I sound like a whingy old woman but I think that deep down inside, I am.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey-hey, not checked your blog in AGES, came on and remembered why I added it to my 'Blogs I reckon are worth a peek' list. TOTALLY empathise with the music/phone thing. HOW RUDE. But I don't msn cos I knew I'd never do any work if I installed it so feel a bit bewildered by it anyway!

I like that the pavements get pretty too :-) recycled petals, isn't God a genius?!

x

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home