Thursday, June 22, 2006

A poster, a Problem (or two) and a Solution (or not)

I am sitting in my community placement, a lovely little youth club in Poplar, London and it is plastered in facts in figures that politically-minded Roz has posted everywhere to help kids see the outside world. They are covered in shocking figures such as up to 3.5 million people around the world have aids, smoking kills, 70 people die in road accidents per week, traffic is the biggest killer of 12-16 year olds etc etc. Do these figures leave you a bit cold? Me too. I feel hardened to the problems in the world like this because I'm so busy worrying about myself.
These are my problems:
- I am about 30£ in the minus
- I am really, REALLY tired
- I have new people moving in in a few weeks
- I am flying to Canada in August and I don't know if I can pack suitably
- I miss home
- Work isn't always amazing
- I'm single and oddly alright with it
Big problems, eh? Maybe I should make a poster with them listed to explain the kids here that I suffer too. How selfish am I?
Right now I'm shaking my head at myself. I can solve all these problems within the next week. I get paid on monday and then will be a glorious 10£ in the plus, I will get some sleep next week, I will see the people moving in as a brilliant new step in life, I will call my grandmother to ask what I need to bring, I will call my mommy and have a chat and work will always be not 100% brilliant.
I can't solve the aids problem though, or the road problem, but what I can do is try and remember and care. Bless Roz for the posters.

3 Comments:

Blogger Keeley said...

hi, i really do find the posters that roz puts around the club rather interesting even though some are sad and kind of disturbing. I also like the lostism round club. i hope you feel better and get some sleep you really did seem down today and it wasn't fair that you had to run around making coffee for certain people. Any way checkout my blog. I don't really like the two recent posts, i have posted i think the eariler stuff is better. any way byexxx

2:40 PM  
Blogger Huoy said...

That's what life is - problems and solutions. Hang in there!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

hey sarah i really enjoyed you're post and it made me realise im like that too sometimes. I love the fact that your single and oddly ok with it. made me laugh. like everyone else said, i hope you solve you're problems. my problem is that everyones birthday seems to be in this month aswell as fathers day which makes me rather poor at the moment. but then roz's posters make me realise how my life isnt that bad either. have a nice week.

peace out!......the free ranged chicken

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home